Monday, June 17, 2013

The Beginning

How many of you have heard about restoring a tractor? A few that I know of. I am going to explain the process of finding a tractor, tearing it down and doing all transmission and engine repairs, sandblasting, and prime and paint. When I look for a tractor I try to find one that is in beyond terrible condition and bring it back to life, I'll start by pulling this tractor into my shop so I can get a idea on what I need to do to make this piece of junk looking beautiful again. The tractor I'm going to restore is a 1952 John Deere model 60 tractor and this tractor has been in my family for 43 years. Since my dad passed in 2002 this tractor has been sitting outside in the elements just rusting away. The first thing I did was put brand new tires on it so I could get it into the shop. When I start tearing it down I first pull the hoods off and set up a dummy fuel tank so I can try to get it running. I try to pull on the fly-wheel a couple of times; therefore the engine takes flight and begins to run. Then I get out a chain and a pry-bar to try and break it free but still nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment