Monday, June 17, 2013

Engine and Transmission Rebuild

Now that the tractor is town all the way down to the engine and transmission housings, I can now start tearing the two of them apart. Before I can tear into it I have to take the tires off and remove the rear hubs from the shafts. The next thing I have to get is my engine jack and jack stands. Now I am ready to get started. As I tear into the engine I noticed that the pistons had gotten water in there and that the block needed to be re-bored  out and new pistons and rings put in. After I removed that it was time to remove to flywheel and clutch. After a lot of heavy lifting I finally got them both off. After hours of work the engine is completely torn down and it is now time to work on the transmission. The transmission is the main function in order to make the tractor move forward and backwards, so in the transmission there are a lot of gears and bearings along with oil. As I am tearing it down you have to watch out so you do not hurt yourself by pinching your fingers. After I had everything tore down and cleaned up, it was time to reassemble the engine and transmission. Since I had everything at home I was able to rebuild the engine and transmission within a week and reassemble the two. With this all done it is time to sandblast, prime, and paint this classic 1952 John Deere 60 tractor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment